It’s April, which means… the pause is over! I’m really happy with my decision to take a break. I’m seeing things with a complete different eyes now, and writing doesn’t feel like a burden anymore, unlike how I was feeling for the second part of last year.
When I pressed pause in January, I wanted that break to be healthy. Taking a step back always seems to help. And teaching the weekly intensive with Miss Soffia was a different way to take a deep dive in my own understanding of the most classic ties. It was never really a full step back from rope.
What I didn’t expect was this global pandemic. We didn’t get to finish the intensive (8/10). My trip to NARIX and Beachbind are postponed and I don’t get to see any of my partners except my husband (and we are both mostly tops). That said, I can’t complain, I can work from home, we’re in a comfortable house. In theory I should have more time, but in reality I have to work a lot to compensate the remote situation and my stress level is not in a good place. That’s not stopping me from moving forward, it’s just not easy.
- So going back in the content, I started looking at the goal I wrote before the break. And I started a few things:
- Go back in research mode: I started looking at all my rope book to find ideas I might have missed
- Review current content: made a tracking spreadsheet and list improvements ideas.
- Complete the summaries: I started reworking the structure and updating the season pages on the website. Broke down the work for future improvements.
- Finish writing Spring: Broke down the work for future improvements
If I want to reach my main goals for the years (finish Spring and polish the structure), I have to break it down in smaller objectives. But I have to be careful not to repeat last year and burn myself doing it. I’ve broken down the main things I need to do into monthly goals, hopefully it will get me where I want with less pressure than weekly goals. I’m also think of making these the focus and not the goal, so if I don’t manage to finish something within the month, I move to the next focus so I don’t get stuck.
- Web site: rework general structure, landing page
- Structure review
- Content review: intro, safety, consent
- Web site: update getting started, resources section and about
- Complete Week 7: The Rope
- Complete Week 8: The Body
- Improve summaries for Summer
- Complete Week 9: Tension
- Complete Week 10: Movement
- Improve summaries for Fall
- Complete Week 11: Partnership
- Complete Week 12: Intimacy
- Improve summaries for Winter
- Complete Week 13: The bed
- Review week 1-6
- Improve summaries for Spring
If the pandemic carry on for a very long amount of time, I may not be able to complete everything but I’ll try to push it as far as I can.
One question on my mind is, how much content do I put on the website, how much do I keep for the book? My main goal is making rope accessible, the book sales comes second. That said, the web site is a huge task to maintain in parallel to writing the book so I must be careful not to put more content than I can maintain. If I want to have a book at some point, I need to be careful in how I divide my energy. My current mindset is to have week 1-8 on the website because they are the most essential topics, and week 9-52 will have a nice summary for each activities, some resource links and a gallery of pictures.
So I spent the entire easter week-end shuffling chapters around, reviewing the activities and making structural changes. I’m trying to fix a few logic issues I noticed while reviewing. Spending time of skype with friends talking about the structure brought interesting improvements. I expect that as I continue to work more changes will come so I’m waiting a bit to update the web site.
Here is a little bit more on my April to do list:
- Structuring documentation
- Going back to books
- Going back to previous classes
- Fetlife/youtube/instagram stalking
- Talk to people and ask questions
Make the website easier to navigate
- Static welcome page with guidance
- Restructure the menu, especially the top level
- Add intent to season names
- Simpler mobile menu
- Make a tracking tool to note improvement – Done
- Read current content and correct stuff on the way
- Ask for feedback
- Use a software to review grammar
- Update the web site
Wish me luck!