Week 4: Frog Tie
The frog tie refers to a tie that keeps a limb folded. It is an easy and fast way to create a feeling of restriction. The bent leg tie is often called futomomo shibari 太腿縛り (thigh tie) or futo 太 (fat) for short. The goal of this week is to explore different variations and to practice a variety of techniques in the process.
- Day 22: Frictions – Start with a single column tie around the angle and try different frictions to create different frog tie. Spiral with wrap around, ladders with different frictions.
- Day 23: Starting Points – Try alternate different starting point, hip, toe, feet, can you can a frog tie that doesn’t look like it has a beginning or end?
- Day 24: Cinches – Explore with double column tie and cinches friction. What are the best strategies to cinch when there is little or no space?
- Day 25: Diamonds – Making complex pattern on small surfaces is difficult. Try creating a diamond pattern with the open diamond technique, or drawing them with crossing hitches
- Day 26: Chaos – Create a frog tie with no pattern, explore tying in a chaotic way, with chaotic aesthetic
- Day 27: Chicken Wing – Create a frog tie on the bent arm, try different techniques
- Day 28: Assembling Ties – Create more than one frog tie and assemble them. Create a teppo shibari, a tengu shibari, a bunny ear, a t-rex tie tie with two chicken wings. Try to move around with all four limbs tied.
Next: Box Tie